The Republican Party—that Grand Ole Party of patriotism and family values—has finally showed its true colors. Again. The GOP tax bill demonstrates clearly why the republican party has given up flag-waving and Bible-thumping in order to defend treason and pedophilia.
The love of money (which is the root of all evil) has always been the Republican Party’s only core value. And while the GOP platform is filled with lip service to “God and Country,” their only true agenda has been corporate tax cuts. Why else would they work with and tolerate a President many of their own members believe to be mentally unstable and dangerous? Why else
would the Republican National Committee endorse a Senate candidate who was banned from shopping malls for hitting on teenage girls?
Why? Because that is what their corporate donor-owners want them to do. Lowering corporate taxes is their Holy Grail and they will pass it even if they have to reveal themselves to be hypocrites in order to do so.
So how bad is the tax bill? In a word, horrific.
According to Forbes Magazine, hardly a liberal voice, the effects of the Republican tax bill include:
• 87 million households will pay more taxes
• Households earning less than $75,000 and families with children earning less than $200,000 will pay more taxes
• The richest 1% will see a tax cut of $32,000
• The richest 0.1% will see a tax cut of $208,000
• Teachers, graduate students, and firefighters will pay more taxes
• Working families will be hit hard by the elimination of deductions for medical expenses and student loans
• Small business will be hit hard by the elimination of deductions for local and state income taxes
• Adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit
• Taking healthcare away from 13 million people
And these are just the consequences we know about. There are probably many more disastrous effects we are yet unaware of because the Republican leadership has allowed corporate lobbyists to secretly re-write most of the bill behind closed doors in the middle of the night.
This tax bill is catastrophic for the American people, but it is good for corporate America. The corporate tax rate will drop from 35% to 20%.
The wealthiest among us have more money than they could spend in a dozen lifetimes. They don’t need a tax break. Their demand for lower taxes is selfish and greedy.
A common person working 40 hours a week at the minimum wage lives below the national poverty line and yet republicans refuse to raise the minimum wage. That makes republican lawmakers assholes. But to further reduce working people’s salaries in order to give more money to the wealthiest among us is morally obscene and makes republicans not only assholes, but also downright evil.
So evil, they will overlook treason and child molestation.